Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tipsy Tuesday

"The most important things are the hardest to say,
because words diminish them."
— Stephen King: Author


I once read that vocabulary is the single most important determinant to your success.

How true!

I was talking to a very bright 12 year old from NYC the other day in our shop, I asked him his favorite subject in school and he said, math, I assumed if he liked math that he liked science, he confirmed that he did. I then asked him if he liked language and he told me it was much harder than math because with math there is only one right answer. Equations are either right or wrong; in language that is not the case. Structuring sentences and using the proper order of words can be difficult; he also added that it was difficult to write down words that conveyed his feelings about a topic; I thought to myself, my, he is so right! In math there is one answer in vocabulary there are many answers.

We judge people by their vocabulary. Confidence comes from language and our ability to communicate our desires to others in a way they will understand our intended meaning.

I respect a great communicator, I love to listen to them and read their works. Personally I struggle with vocabulary, and have to work on being a better communicator daily.

My problem was that in high school vocabulary/language class's I was constantly communicating and never listening:-).

Many decades later here I am writing a blog about vocabulary which I am sure is full of grammatical errors:-)!

My tip this Tuesday, pay attention in language class!

Forever talking,

Danna

P.S. I love when it says "No misspellings found"
Unfortunately in blogging there is no grammar check!

No comments: