Thursday, June 4, 2009

Zen Horse

Writing Thursday's blog Zen Horse I usually use Clinton Anderson's tip of the week, this week however is my favorite Zen Horseman's birthday so I have chosen to talk about her, yes her.

Zen points directly to ones heart, and Zen Horse for me is the connection between the heart of the person and the heart of the horse. The person I am featuring today certainly has a Zen connection with horses, you know, she really has a positive connection with everything.

This connector was born June 4th 1981 at 2:38 pm on a beautiful summer day, her hair was long and black and from the moment I held her, I knew she was someone unbelievably special. She was my Destiny and so her name was given.

Destiny loved horses from conception. If I was around a horse while I was pregnant with her I could feel her excitement inside me.

Riding at a very young age, she never complained and never wanted to get off. She helped my father raise a colt off a bottle when she was pre-school age and later would train it to be one of the best horses we ever owned.

Her grandfather on my husbands side, Wayland continued fueling her passion for the horse by riding in the hills and hauling her to 4-H shows.

Despite a serious injury on a horse that took a year of healing and 3 surgeries to save her foot the thought of riding her horses again was the driving force of her rehabilitation.

We knew this was her life purpose, her personal legend was on the back a horse. We sent her to many different trainers, she was taught many different disciplines of riding but her favorite was barrel racing. I wanted her to be a rodeo queen which she was, but all she could think of was going fast!

Race horses have been in my family since the 60's so mounts came easy, training these race horses right off the track not so easy. Destiny with her gentle mannerisms provided a calmness to these high strung animals.

By the age 13 she was winning 1st division national championships on horses she had trained, amazing accomplishment for a young girl her age.

Her junior year in high school she won almost $40,000 in futurities, three champion titles and many top 5's in a sport that is hard to win one.

Always working on the next great prospect she started selling horses that provided her good income to continue training and maintaining the rest of the herd.

Scott and I hauled her all over the United States, memories were made in arena's across the west. I watched this skinny little weak girl that loved horses evolve into a accomplished horsewoman on a mission.

The mission however was never to chase the competition, it was always to make a positive experience for the horse. Her ability to heal these horses became efficient as she would listen intently to the vets while they worked on her horses, asking questions and charting what worked and didn't work.

At 16 she hooked up the horse trailer by herself and that day drove to Heber City to the high school rodeo finals. At that same age she started doing acupuncture on her own horses, and could main line all of them.

Scott being a race horse trainer taught Destiny so many things. She always listened and wanted to learn more. I was amazed how quick she learned and how well she retained the information.

Now she is a mother to my perfect grandchildren, she runs our barrel racing association Horse Events Inc. and oversees all operations. She continues to ride, train, and compete as a top contestant in her sport.

Last year Destiny started a new quest as a equine therapist, she certified in Acuscope and myopulse use. Wanting the knowledge just to help her own horses has quickly grown to scores of people searching her out to help them with their horse's ailments. This month she will finish additional training which will make her completely certified to also work on humans. The results she has received are incredible in both horses and humans. I believe not only in the instruments but I believe in her as a healer, she truly has a gift to heal.

Her example inspires me, I am so proud of her for the person she is and the positive light she is on the world.

Destiny turns 28 today, she has accomplished much in those short years, I smile where she will be in the ones that follow.

Happy Birthday to the best Horseman/woman I know, and I know many.

Love.

Mom

1 comment:

tallgirl said...

what a great tribute to a great girl!! couldn't agree more, happy birthday to a great friend, and horsewomen!!!!