Thursday, March 26, 2009

Zen Horse

Haltering your horse:

By Clinton Anderson

G’ day mate! Here’s a training tip I use to help me start the day off right by getting respect from my horse when I first put on his halter.
I hate feeling like I have to chase my horse’s head with the halter, so having a respectful and responsive horse is very important.
Teach your horse the habit of accepting the halter with his head low and tipped towards you.
To do this, first teach him to lower his head when you touch his poll with your fingertips. The touch and rub poll exercise found in my DVD, Gaining Respect and Control on the Ground, Series II, explains how to do this.
When you’ve lowered the horse’s head to about waist level, hold the tail of the halter with your right hand and the cheek piece in your left hand, and then scoop his nose into the halter, pulling up so it tips towards you slightly.
If the horse shows any resistance in giving to you, continue pulling and releasing, pulling and releasing, until he softens.
Once he’s ! soft and responsive, tie the halter and flex him to each side.
When you take the halter off at the end of the day, follow these same steps and you’re on your way to creating a horse that’s soft and responsive when being haltered!

Happy Trails,

Danna

Happy Birthday to the best Mother-in-Law in the world. Grandma Nannette, what a great example of kindness she is to all the world.
Love You!

No comments: