Thursday, August 21, 2008

ZEN HORSE

I wrote the following poem as a tribute to all the breathtaking riding available in the west. I use this segment of Zen Horse as an acknowledgment to the joy that riding a horse amongst the ever changing of the seasons conveys.

I RIDE

I ride the desserts in the spring, the smell of red dirt, sage and rain.

I ride the mountains in the summer, wild flowers, emerald grasses, wavering aspens, and pungent pines. Clouds boil up and bring gifts of shade and occasionally intimidating rain.

I ride the mountains in the fall; hibernation gives its call, airs turned sharp, in the midst of altering autumn colors. Mountain wind carries warning. Sadness feels me with winters approach. I breathe in the aging foliage beneath my horse’s feet.

Winter I reminisce each ride and the season’s image, with layers of eagerness warming my core, knowing that green grass and riding are as imminent as before.

Love, Laugh and Ride Often,
Danna

No comments: