Monday, August 11, 2008

On the Road Again

A couple of weeks ago our family went on vacation to the happiest place on earth, Disneyland. The anticipation in those five grandchildren physically manifested in the twinkle in their eyes. Excitement and high energy filters throughout the 300 acre park.

Strollers everywhere, and now that we have adult strollers on wheels. 500+ adult type scooter's, designed for adults not to have to burn a calorie, fully equipped to pack our big gulps and belt buster lunch. Don't get me wrong these motorized scooters have given mobility to people with physical disabilities allowing them to share in and be a part of activities that only a decade ago were reserved for very few. However, I observed many that in my un humble opinion should and could have been walking right along side me.

Oh yeah back to the happiest place on earth. Is there any more magical place than Disneyland? With it's creative nostalgia, perfectly groomed landscapes and adventurous rides that exhilarates your senses and even seems to make your liver smile.

My granddaughter Jacy, just wanted to be big enough to ride Splash Mountain. So her Mom bought her 3" high flip flops, rehearsed her during the 45 minute wait to stand up tall and smile at the attendant. When arriving at the measuring post she proudly stood up tall rotated forward her sparkly painted toe nails and announced to the 15 year old attendant that indeed she was big enough. All seven of us piled in the boat and headed for our adventure. During the long climb up the mountain before the big splash I questioned our incessant need to take a three year old down a 60 foot drop. As we were falling I questioned my incessant need to wait in line 45 minutes to get the breath ripped out of my lungs and have my stomach relocated to my throat.
A picture tells a thousand words is a true analogy. Every emotion was potrayed on our faces. And after only seconds of reasurring we would all live to see another day. Jacy loudly exclaimed, Lets do it again!

I now have 4 princess and one pirate for grandchildren. They have been infused with the magic that they can be and do anything they want with their imaginations.

Now anytime we are in the truck Jacy throws her arms in the air and loudly squeals weeee!

Thanks Walt you have given my family and millions of familes happy memories.

No comments: