Monday, August 18, 2008

On the Road Again

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path
and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

That seems to be the mantra of my good friend Celia, she is definitely a trail blazer. I love to go with my girl friends and mountain trail ride. We haul horses, camp and yes blaze trails. Celia is one of those minds that can navigate. She has the conviedence to look at a mountain know where a trail could be, head you towards it, find it, and for my sake hopefully we are not the ones that have to blaze it.

Several rides I have been on requires blazing. Blazing interesting word.


blaze 1
play_w2("B0317400")
(blz)
n.
1.
a. A brilliant burst of fire; a flame.
b. A destructive fire.
2. A bright or steady light or glare: the blaze of the desert sun.
3. A brilliant, striking display: flowers that were a blaze of color.
4. A sudden outburst, as of emotion: a blaze of anger.
5. blazes Used as an intensive: Where in blazes are my keys?
v. blazed, blaz·ing, blaz·es
v.intr.
1. To burn with a bright flame.
2. To shine brightly.
3. To be resplendent: a garden blazing with flowers.
4. To flare up suddenly: My neighbor's temper blazed.
5. To shoot rapidly and continuously: Machine guns blazed.
v.tr.
To shine or be resplendent with: eyes that blazed hatred.
[Middle English blase, from Old English blæse; see bhel-1 in Indo-European roots.]
blazing·ly adv.
blaze 2
play_w2("B0317400")
(blz)
n.
1. A white or light-colored spot or stripe on the face of an animal, such as a horse.
2. A mark cut or painted on a tree to indicate a trail.
tr.v. blazed, blaz·ing, blaz·es
1. To mark (a tree) with or as if with blazes.
2. To indicate (a trail) by marking trees with blazes.


This is an appropriate word for what Celia does, she blazes. What I do, I follow the blazer. This is different than following the white bronco. This is me on my mule or I should say Celia's mule following the lead mule, Celia. One ass following the other. Got a visual yet. Celia so adventurous, Danna a little bit adventurous.
Anytime blazing requires cutting down trees going around obstacles with no idea of future conditions, jumping mules up or down reven's, sliding, swimming or tip toeing over cliff's I become a bit tight jawed and edgey.

Next Monday check back for one of those such stories.
On the road again, or should I say on the washed out, steep, mostly slick rock, non blazed trail, again.

Have a adventours week.

Danna

No comments: