Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Dream Big

Now you might have heard the story about the businessman on vacation. He was staring at the calm blue sea thinking about lunch. A small boat laden with large yellow fin tuna docked near the pretty Mexican village. A lone fishermen jumped ashore.

“That’s a great catch,” said the tourist. “How long did it take you?” “Mmm. Not so long,” said the Mexican. “Why didn’t you stay out longer and catch more fish?” “Well, that’s enough to keep my family provided for.” “But what do you do with the rest of your time?” “Well, I sleep late, I fish a little, I play with my children, then I have lunch, take a siesta with Maria, my wife; we stroll into the village every evening. We sip wine, we play the guitar, and I play cards with! my amigos. It’s a full and rich life, señor.”

“Well, I think I can help you,” the visitor said, wrinkling his nose a little bit. “You see, I’m a Harvard MBA, and this is the advice that you’d receive at business school. You’ve got to spend more time fishing, buy yourself a bigger boat, make more money, and then perhaps several boats until you’ve got a fleet. Don’t sell your catch to a middleman; sell directly to the processor. Eventually perhaps opening your own cannery. Then you control the product, control the production, and control the distribution. You could then leave this small little town, move to Mexico City, then to L.A. and perhaps eventually to New York to run your own expanding firm.”

“But señor,” said the Mexican, “how long would this take?” “Oh, 15, 20 years.” “But what then, señor?” “Well, that’s the best part, the businessmen laughed. When the time is right, you could float on the stock market and make millions of dollars.” “Mmm. Millions you say. And what then, señor?” “Well, then you could retire and go home. Move to a pretty village by the sea. Sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evening, sip wine, and play guitar and cards with your friends.”

This made me smile, I relate!!! Some times in the need to acquire, grow, expand,and succeed we work ourselves right through life. We step over happiness, joy, and bliss, trying to find success.

It is important to dream big, but it is most important to enjoy the journey, not just look for the golden destination.

Have a Wonderful 09-09-09!!!
Happy Birthday Heidi and Mike!

Danna

No comments: