Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Damn Good Stuff

Sunrises

One of the true refreshers in life is sunrise. The day beginning, sleep has our minds dumped of the garbage and our senses are on high alert to receive the life force energy we call sun. It spreads itself outward bringing with it life, without condition.

I remember great sunrises. The anticipation, the sky turning many shades as this slow development takes place right before my astonished eyes.

Some of my favorite sunrises include, in no particular order.

Thousand Lake Mountain, over looking Cathedral Valley as the horses begin to rustle around in anticipation of their morning hay.

Flying, viewing miles of skyline, as the brilliant colors unfold below you.

Equinox, two times per year at my house in Salina, it lines up perfectly between my center door window.

Top of Mountain on Fremont Junction New Years Morning the chill, the stillness, and the only sound is the echoing of coyote's calling across the canyon.

There are a few of mine, think of a few of yours, share if you would like. My intention is to always out do my current list, we have 365 days per year to try.

Sunrises, Damn Good Stuff.

Danna

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite sunrise is also overlooking Cathedral Valley on Thousand Lake Mountain. Tub Flat to be exact. That place is very dear to my heart as it is where my love and career in photography began with one of my first cameras when I was probably around 7 or 8 years old.

There, the earth seems to be an endless array of colors overlooking Capital Reef National Park which the Cathedral Valley desert is a part of. You can even see Hanksville, more prevalant at night because of the lights of the airport and town in the distance which is about an hour away driving distance. All while surounded by forest and wildflowers.

Thousand Lake was right in my backyard while growing up. We would just hop on the dirt road right from my house in our old 1979 jeep. One of my favorite sunsets is also from a place on Thousand Lakes near what is called "The Saddle" named because, you guessed it, from a distance it looks like a saddle. This area is I feel the most spectacular viewing area because you can see the whole county where I grew up end to end, Wayne County also named Color Country or Panorama Land. Looking east you see endless desert then turn around to the west to see endless mountains with our quaint little country towns nested in the beautiful valleys.

I longed for the day that I would have a horse to go on a ride on that mountain and finally got the opportunity when I was almost 18. I will never ever forget that horse ride in the most beautiful place on this earth!

A very recomended trail ride, jeep ride, or ATV ride on the trails where you can still ride them. Even if you don't have a jeep, horse or ATV you can drive in your car along HWY 72 what we like to call the Hogans and view almost the same panorama looking east from the comforts of your car.

Make it your next vacation destination! It will be well worth it.