Thursday, December 18, 2008

Zen Horse

Horse Tip of the Week
By Clinton Anderson

I tie all my horses up for three or four hours everyday after I work them. Doing this accomplishes a couple of things: it teaches your horse patience and helps him retain the exercises that you worked on that day.

If you turn your horse out with his buddies immediately after you finish riding, he’s more likely to forget everything you just taught him. It’s kind of like the kid in class who runs out the door with his friends the minute the bell rings; most of what he just learned is lost. Once you get done working your horse, it’s better to let him sit and relax a bit before you turn him back out.

I have tie-rings or patience polls all over my ranch so that whenever I finish working a horse, I can tie him up and let him sit. Not only does this help him retain the exercises we worked on and increase his patience, it also helps him learn to relax wherever he is.

Happy Trails,

Danna

No comments: