Monday, June 30, 2008

On the Road Again #2 - Fat & Happy in Texas

Well today starts my third week in Texas. I love Texas! Great Cajun food, great Mexican food, great barbeque, great southern comfort food, unfortunately Scott and I are trying to fit into our heavy starched jeans. So we have been eating all types of fish and steamed vegetables. Does fried pickles count as a vegetable?

In Ft. Worth there are world famous food establishments. Joe T Garcia’s is one of them. We heard about Joe T’s years before coming to Ft. Worth the referral was so impressive we had to check it out the minute we hit town. Wow it was the best Mexican food I had ever had. The margarita’s, Oh My! However after visiting Joe T Garcia’s the following morning my 20 minute workout was wrestling with the starched jeans I attempted to warm up to, after my third attempt I gave up and wore dirty jeans that were all stretched out.

I have eaten some awesome banana leaf wrapped tilapia, citrus crusted tilapia, and all types of Cajun rubbed fish and shrimp. And not any of them were deep fried. Texans love to deep fry. They will batter it, fry it, and heavy sauce it. Did I mention my new mantra, live to eat, not Eat to Live. Oh crap, I mean eat to live not live to eat. It’s so confusing.

I thought when did it happen, how old was I, when my entertainment schedule became finding the best place to have dinner. Scott and I use to hit a town, find a great dance club, dance almost every dance, close the place down and look for another fun activity the town we were visiting had to offer. Now it’s hit the town look for the restaurant schedules in the lobbies of the hotel.
However, night before last we took up an offer to go to the Texas Ranger game. Of course we had suite tickets, and there was free food and drinks involved. It was a great game a nail bitter, the Rangers pulled it off in the 9th with an 8 to 7 victory.

I highly recommend Ft. Worth as a city to visit. They have the stockyards, historic western stores, cowgirl hall of fame and many other nice museums, Lone Star horse racing park which we will be attending Friday, football, basketball and baseball coliseums, Billy Bob’s night club, and yes some of the best restaurants anywhere.

Fat and happy in Texas,

Danna

No comments: